Saturday, July 28, 2012

Little Worn Out Cabinet Becoming A Cute Little Unit to House Sound Equipment Has Me Singing

We have a little room off our pool we call the Cabana.  It's not really a cabana because it doesn't have running water, unless you count the hose off the side of the outside.  No sink, no bathroom, nothing.  It's kinda just a little 15 X 15 place to rest and enjoy the lake views and chill.  My hubby wanted to put a small sound system out in the space, so that we could enjoy some music while relaxing with a cool beverage.  The problem is that we keep this room wide open at all times and putting sound equipment in this space unprotected was just plain stupid.

We devised a plan to find a little cabinet that we could use to house the equipment.  We know over time that this little cabinet will probably take a beating from the weather, so we didn't want to spend much money.  I have a pretty awesome, under shopped thrift store near my new house, so we set out to find a cabinet.  Lucky us, we found one.  I really like the size, basic lines and the hardware on this little gem.  For $14.95, how could we go wrong?!





The cabinet was in pretty rough condition, with a rut in the top from someone's drink and pitted hardware, I had to get my elbow grease and creativity out to get this job done.




I got to work using AS Chalk Paint in Old White on the cabinet and Rustoleum Metallic Silver spray paint on the hardware that we removed.  I sanded lightly, applying more pressure to the area that had the rut.  Three coats of paint did the trick.




Even my not-so-crafty hubby helped out with the hardware.




Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy and is super amazing at what he does for a living.  Let's just say, he isn't a carpenter.  Here's proof...


I asked him to drill two holes in the back so he could get the cords and wires into and out of the cabinet. Notice the "workmanship."  Oh well, the cabinet is for his stuff and this will work.  I said nothing to him about it.  I guess I kinda snagged myself here.  He reads my blog!!  Sorry Mister! (wink)

I finished the piece with a coating of BriWax in Clear to give it a little seal.

Done.  Ready to play some tunes...




Fun, quick, easy, cheap.  My kind of project!


12 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

Oooh, I love how the hardware shows up now. It looks great.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice deal, and a cute makeover. Oh, no one's going to see the hole.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Looks great Lesley!!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Adore the silver hardware. Great job and it's perfect for what you are using it for. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Olive said...

The silver Asian hardware really pops now. Great makeover.

Full Circle Creations said...

Nicely done. I really like the hardware in silver.

Holly

Twice Nice said...

That's a cute, cute cabinet! Love the redo on it. That's a great find and finish!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Nice little makeover! Any hubby that helps is a good one to have around. Even if he isn't a carpenter lol

Cassie Bustamante said...

oooh i love it! i loved it before and love it after.... i think i just plain love it.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

$14.95!! Great find, but my favorite part is the hole in the back. Hehehe. Been there, done that.

Decor & Harmony said...

Very nice! The metallic hardware really makes it pop! I would love to get my hands on a little cabinet like yours.

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

Wow Lesley love the transformation on this! It's amazing what a creative mind and paint can do :)