Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Homeless Finch Takes 2012! Goals...Because I Have To Follow Suit!

Do I really have to share my goals for this year?!  It seems that everyone else is writing their goals for this year and publishing them for the world to see!!  Well, I am not going to do that I guess I have to follow suit, right?! 

Fresh, after holiday decor in the studio.



The Homeless Finch Starts to Build a Nest

Well, my goals are primarily based on what I have learned since March of last year.  What is it that is working on my blog?  What isn't working as well?   I am trying to build on my experiences and develop The Homeless Finch into something that is a reflection of myself, but also a place where you, the reader, can come and find ideas, inspiration and instruction.  Yes...instruction.  It seems that last months' 25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Series, filled with How To Tutorials was something that you guys really enjoyed.  I plan on expanding that idea this year. 













Inspirational Projects: From My Nest to Yours

You won't be seeing the 25 Days of President's Day Weekend, but you might get a hefty dose of seasonally related projects. Valentines Day and Easter will be here before you know it!  I already have a huge list of projects compiled and have a few in the 'testing' stages as I type this post.  I'm excited to put these inspirations together for you!  There are lot of thrifty ideas, upcycling projects and fun, craftiness planned ahead.






Furniture Fix Ups: One Twig at a Time

Of course, I also have a few furniture renovations in the hopper.  I have had my hands on this cabinet for over 6 months and have been chomping at the bit to get going with it.  I have big plans to take this cabinet far beyond where it sits today! 
Before
I also want to try my hand at hand painting fabric on a chair this year and that project is out in my work area for preparations.   I am brainstorming a few motifs for the back of this chair. Any ideas or suggestions? A pineapple?  A graphic of some sort?  What do you think?

Before

Feathering the Nest: Improving My Blog Design

Another goal is to master a few more technical skills as they related to my blog design.  I am happy with the look of my button and my header, although I don't think my button is working based on the fact that I don't see it posted on any of my friends favorite blog lists. Or maybe they just don't want to promote me. (just kidding guys) I need to finally make that darn button work! I also need to figure out why it looks blurry to the left!!  Sheesh! I also want to master the ability to make that darn top menu bar look great and control other aspects of the design as well.   This part is the most taxing for me.  I'm an artist and designer, not a computer genius! 



Adding New Skills: Tools to Build a Better Nest 

Silhouette Cameo 12"x10" Die Cutting MachineFor Christmas, I got a new Silhouette Cameo and I want to learn how to use it.  Might need to take a few online courses to get it to do what I want.  Last year I bought Photo Shop and never learned how to use it!!  I want to look into taking a few classes.  If I learn anything worthy, I will definitely share.




Welcome back to my faithful followers.  Hope you enjoyed your holiday break.  Last month brought many new readers to The Homeless Finch. I want to Welcome you as well!  I hope you are glad you came along for the ride!  We have lots to do.  So let's get crackin'...

-The End-
Linking this post to:

9 comments:

Jessie said...

I'm looking foward to seeing all your new projects! Happy new year!

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Ok, I cannot wait for the furniture re-do's! Love the cabinet. What color are you going to do? And I really want to know how the fabric painting goes. Do you have to use a special paint? I am a pineapple freak! I don't have a lot anymore, but I use to buy up pineapple anything I could find.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Great goals Lesley. I think you should do one of your original paintings on the chair. Something abstract. That would rock.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i am looking forward to the tutorials and seeing that hutch transformed- LOVE it! and yay on the cameo! :) i have last year's model... boo hoo. and i am so with you on the blog design stuff- ick. i hate dealing with it though.
and finally- as for the chair, i definitely say it has to be something that will suit the lines of the current fabric because the texture and design (not color) will show through. i have painted fabric before and found that to be the same. that being said, i think some centered graphic design might be cool.

Twice Nice said...

Yeah, more tutorials and upcycles coming! Makes me so happy!
Ok, I also have photo shop, and I can't do a darn thing with all the buttony thingamajigs (gotta be a real word) and I can't even figure out how to do a header, and I think I should adopt your goal and learn that stuff too! Share what you figure out, and I'll try to contribute something also! Deal?
Deb

ARK said...

Good luck with all your goals and wishes for the year!! You made me laugh with your "I'm not a computer whiz, I'm an ARTIST!". I think that all the time...drives me crazy that I don't have the computer skills to do what is in my head! I finally FINALLY figured how to make twitter and facebook icons the way I want, but it took FOREVER!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Oh, the headaches of the darn "technical" side of blogging! I don't think you are alone with blog buttons not working. I have yet to figure that one out. Maybe you can do a tutorial when you find the answers.

It looks like you've got your plate full and are brimming with energy to get going. Lots of fun projects in store for us, I'm sure!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

That's quite a hefty list. Best of luck on everything. Can't wait to see what you do with that chair!

Unknown said...

Hello darlin' happiest of new years to you. Im looking forward to all that creative and interesting stuff ! My "one Word " for 2012 is excitement ! pretty good, huh? I'm TRYING...I'm really trying. It's not easy... for a low-key gal like me...but excitement is exciting !

Huh? I don't know

- KAT -