Friday, October 21, 2011

Nightstand Upcycle...I'm Over At dreamingincolor Today Too!


This little nightstand was something I picked up on a neighbor's trash pile.  I revealed it on the same day as a guest post over at dreamingincolor.  Hope you enjoy the following post. 

"Be our guest, be our guest, put our service to the test.  Tie your napkin around your neck, Cherie.  We'll provide the rest!" Okay..okay.  I will be quiet. Sorry.  Sorry.  It's just that I have been singing that song over and over out loud to myself.  Why you ask? (You did ask, right?!)  Well, I'm so excited! Yeah! I'm a guest today over at my friend Deneen's blog, dreamingincolor!  She was nice enough to ask me to introduce myself to her followers.  If you want to see my Yak Attack over at her blog click HERE to go there.  But remember to come back because I have a furniture reveal today!! 

The Furniture Reveal:
A Curbed Night Stand Gets A Makeover

If you are visiting here from dreamingincolor or one of the linky parties that I have joined this week, Welcome!  In anticipation that some of Deneen's followers just might have wanted to take a peek at The Homeless Finch, I planned a furniture reveal for today.  Fun!

If you have already been following my blog, I don't expect you to remember a post I wrote months ago about a trash pick nightstand. But if you remember ugly things, you might!  I picked up the beast out of a trash pile in a neighbor's front yard about a block away.  Well, the nightstand has sat in my garage for months.  I ignored it.  I pretended it wasn't there.  I had no idea what I wanted to do with it.  I dragged it out this week and decided to just go for it.  I mean, what do I have to lose?!! 

Here is the before photo I took months ago the day I trash picked it.
Before
Before.  Pretty...NOT!

I know.  It's ugly and why on earth would I have brought this little disaster home?  Well, I saw promise.  I saw opportunity.  I saw something going to a landfill and wanted to do my part to save the environment.  Yep. I know.  I'm nuts.  But that's me and I am very excited with the results.

I bought a yard of fabric from Joann's with a 50% off coupon and decided to put a base coat of white on the nightstand.  After I painted it with two coats of Annie Sloan's Old White, I cut out the fabric to fit the sides and the inside bottom of the nightstand and used my Modge Podge to fix it into place making sure I used my scraper to smooth out any wrinkles and tightly affix the fabric to the surface.  I also hand cut out motifs from the fabric and used them as accents on the table top. I painted the hardware with a satin finish black spray paint.  I finished the piece off with MinWax Wipe On Poly to give it a little more durability. 

Here are the results...




 I am so please with the results.  Best part? This little gem will live to see another day, not our local landfill!  Win win I'd say.  I want to again give a HUGE SHOUT OUT to Deneen over at dreamingincolor for hosting me as a guest today.  This is the first time I have ever done something like that and I am grateful to her for the opportunity.  PLEASE don't leave without following my blog.  I would love to have you stay and hang out for a while. Heck...maybe someday we might even meet for coffee!!

-The End-


Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This post is being featured on Roadkill Rescuer!!!! See the link below..

This post is linked to:














25 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

SO fun! and i am in love with that yellow table i just saw at deneen's... in LOVE. i want something like it for a sofa table- that color is amazing!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

High Five! I just left Deneen's blog. Of course I was giddy to see you featured. Love ya!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Hi Lesley! I'm visiting from Dreaming In Color. Fabulous guest post! I love all of the transformations and projects you shared. Loving this little nightstand, too! Nice to *meet* you! :)

Lisalulu said...

YOU,my dear, have an awesome blog.. and your projects are so detailed, I think I am going to stay awhile!!!

Katie said...

This table is so fun Lesley!! I love the bright fabric you used! Congrats on the feature!!

Martha Kisling said...

Hi Lesley -I LOVE how you fixed up the nightstand - bright beautiful colors! You asked about watercolor paints, the most well known brand is Windsor Newton - you want to buy them in the tubes. I also order from Cheap Joe's catalog and use their American Journey brand - you get alot for your money. Let me know if you give them a try.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

You are a color QUEEN! Love all your bright projects.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Love the fabric with the white. What a transformation!

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating said...

The fabric is so cheery! I had thought of covering furniture with wallpaper or wrapping paper, but not fabric! Cool idea!

Kristin Dudish said...

I love all of the different things you have happening on your blog... So much good stuff to see (I have been looking around for a very long time... I really should be going to bed!)

xo
Kristin

debbie--http://refreshrestyle.com/ said...

I have been wanting to do this! Yours looks great! Now I'm really inspired!
Debbie

GlorV1 said...

Wow Lesley, that is amazing! It looks wonderful. Makes me want to go out and look for something to re-do. You did a great job. Thanks for stopping by my Paint Party Friday post and you should add that to PPF. It's wonderful. Have a great weekend.

Geri said...

I love the makeover - I MUST try refinishing something soon!

Catherine Denton said...

I'm crazy for re-dos (even though I rarely do one myself--just always WANT to). Love the transformation! And you explained it in such easy steps, I think I could do it.

Thanks for visiting My Blog. I'm absolutely following you. :D

Grammy Goodwill said...

I love how that turned out. I bet your neighbors want it back now. Be sure to keep your doors locked so they can't get it!

WrightStuff said...

Lesley... Wow! What a transformation!! When I read that you were going to cover it with fabric I was a bit unsure, but I should clearly have known far better than the doubt the furntiture-repurposing genius that you are! What a reveal!

I also wanted to say thank you so much for the lovely comments you wrote on my blog about my story and writing. To say I was chuffed to bits is an understatement!!

Big hugs to you and your son (though being a teenager he might not like that too much!)

Anonymous said...

The colours are so pretty - what a nice choice of pattern!

Kristin said...

WOW - what a wonderful redo! Your blog feels like home, my mom repurposes furniture (she's on my sidebar if you'd like: Fleur De Lis) and her garage is always full!
Your piece is wonderful - so bright and cheery and so well done - Bravo! xo

Anonymous said...

Lesley,
You did a great re-do on that piece of furniture! "Fun in the sun project"!
Thank you for your nice visit at my blog for PPF!
YOu and I have tons and tons of things in common. It is uncanny.
I have moved 9 times since 2001, three of those 9 were to SW Florida!!
Near PineIsland, Matlacha, etc.
I found myself loney and so far from my NOW 3 grandchildren, so I moved back for good this last time.
I do miss the pool and all, but I do love the changes of seasons.
anyway.. why am I just rambling.. you are not even here.. (Laughing)
I am up late so I wanted to tell you those things before I hit the hay! "Hit the hay"?? Gee, I must be a midwestern girl!
Have a wonderful day.. I will come back and visit. I joined your blog as well. ♥ Darlene

patti west said...

I have a dresser that is similar to this design (yes, it's embarassing to admit). It was my oldest son's - now being stored in the basement. I'm totally going to make it into something better. Can you please tell me where I can buy Annie Sloan paint? I have looked on-line and I've emailed the Annie Sloan site, but never heard back from them. I see people using this paint everywhere - but I can't find it. Thank you in advance. Sincerely, patti west
http://www.pattiwest.blogspot.com/

patti west said...

I'm back to tell you that I found a spot to order AS paint and have chosen the country gray for my "ugly piece". haha! I also ordered the AS wax and am so excited to receive and use this paint. Thanks again for your inspiration! smiles, patti

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

This looks so great! Good job!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great transformation! Looks awesome.

SaltAndPepperMakers said...

Great job on this transformation! The fabric is applied perfectly and add a wonderful burst of colour to the piece.

secure tabs said...

Your creative is really good,, the old nightstand looked awful, but the final nightstand looks pretty !